Monday, June 28, 2010

Bedtime and...."the shadows".....

Bedtime has never been an issue for us. Miss Amels has slept through the night since she was 4 months old, less her teething phase when she would get up maybe once a night. We were greatful and blessed, knowing this wasn't the norm with newborns, but didn't say anything twice about as not to jinx it. Maybe I should have said/bragged more...

Within the last couple of months, Miss Amels has learned to open doors. We were the prepared parents and had the "locks" for the doors. With one "pop", they were on and we thought we were safe, to not have her come out until we would get her. We were then reminded what kind of rookie parents we are.

Miss Amels instantly broke off the door handle protectors within 2 seconds and it got so ridiculous, we quit putting them on. Since then, we've put up with her getting out of bed at least 2-5 times and standing at the top of the stairs with a pathetic whine until she could stall 5 more minutes out of bed time.

She also started visiting us in our bedroom. We've never been co-sleepers. Our bed was our bed, our space. Her bed was hers and we've had this mutual respect since she was born. About 2 months ago I feel someone rubbing my hand, wake up and find my hand hanging over my bed, with Miss Amels gently rubbing it and standing there smiling, at 6am. As if I should know it's time to get up and play. She's also found if she doesn't feel good, or if I'm just in a sappy, half asleep state of mind at 2am, she can wander in and I'll scoop her up and have her fall asleep right dab smack in the middle of the husband and I. Man she's got us figured out, all at the tender age of 2 1/2.

The last couple of nights, the new either a. scare, or b. stall tactic is "shadows". In fairness, the kid has shadows in her room. Who doesn't. Tonight I tried to explain how shadows are good, and they're watching over her to make sure she has good dreams. Then she would come back with "mommy the shadows scare me." Broke my heart. So back and forth we go. Up and down the stairs. The husband is currently on his 5th trip (I think) up/down the stairs and we've given up trying to watch the second half of Shutter Island. I'm sure in the next 5 minutes we'll hear the little pitter patter coming down the stairs with a new dissertation on the shadows in her room, and why she just can't fall asleep for another 5 minutes. And I know....this is just the beginning....

No comments: